Translate

8/27/2012

It's How You Play It

I've always thought about how many people I've talked to about EVE who no longer play, complain that the game is too slow. Even when I started myself, I could understand it all too well. The friend that introduced me to EVE had a plan for how I should play, and told me how to do it as if it was the only way. As it was told to me, I was to ignore various categories of skills, rush towards various skills, and just do missions. With this, the game was very static, and very mundane. I couldn't handle it. I found myself constantly in a corner, having to wait on my skills to get any further. To my understanding, this is what happens to many new players, as it shouldn't.




Even after a month of playing this wonderful game I had found, I put it down. Of course there was this part of me that told me it would be so much better after a certain point of time. Needless to say, I kept my subscription going just to get skills trained. For about six months, I didn't touch EVE except to move skills around. This was a bad idea. When I finally came back I realized how much time I wasted not playing at all.

After coming back I started doing a little research on missions which was all I knew about the game at the time. After learning about COSMOS missions, standing, scanning, and many other things, I was stuck to the game all over again. There was one key factor in the game that had been neglected when informing me about the game. That point was that if you train around a ship you like, the rest of your skills for any other ship will come with it. To give you a better idea, find a tech 1 frigate that you really like. Using a fitting assistant tool to play with different builds of that ship, and train the skills to make that ship better. As you make that one better, you will eventually hit a point where you are satisfied enough to get a decent amount of enjoyment out of it. From that point, you can then start training your longer skills, like Frigates V. Next thing you know, you're in the market for a Tech 2 frigate, and enjoying the game non-stop.

Even if you want to do mining or exploration, this same tactic works just fine. Starting out low is the best way for the player to enjoy the game.  Many players will tell newer players to rush straight to a battleship, to do some specific event, but all that comes from that is a bored player.

Another bad piece of advise is to get with a corporation right away. Many older players encourage new players to do this first thing, and I have to say this is a horrible idea. The reason being players will carelessly jump into any corp without any knowledge of it, and what it does. Next thing you know that corp is telling the player about how they need to get their skills to a certain point, and the player is distressed about the months of time it will take to get there.

There are only two exceptions I can think of to this; one is to join the corporation RvB (Red vs. Blue), or EVE University. The reason being is that RvB is a new player friendly PvP corp, giving new players the chance to jump right into combat, with restrictions keeping the field fare for newer players versus older players. EVE University is another new player friendly corporation, but revolving around teaching the player everything they know about the game first hand.

So I hope I gave some insight to some people. Even though this isn't going to be one of my better posts, I thought that it should be public information for new players.

No comments:

Are you a first time visitor?


Check out our other informative articles, including guides, charts, "Making ISK" articles, our ship database, 3rd party app reviews, and more! Also be sure to check out our twitch video feed with in-game interaction offering you the best possible way to learn all about EVE Online.